Driven by a strong environmental awareness, Frederic Mazzella discovered ride-sharing in California, where he spent 3 years in between San Francisco and Palo Alto.
Once back in France, he created Comuto SAS / BlaBlaCar
2007 - 2009: launching and first innovation
- Frédéric Mazzella met Nicolas Brusson at INSEAD (MBA) and they started building the business plan and the funding plan for BlaBlaCar
- Frederic met Francis Nappez who started helping on the technology platform and joined BlaBlaCar as co-founder and CTO
- Introduction of the first social layer and the well-known pictograms like “Bla Bla”
- First mobile portal for the service in October
- Full development of the social layer and community fixtures with ratings, in-site messaging systems, travel page etc...
- First office and employee!
- Released Iphone app
- Hire head of BlaBlaCar Spain and launched the service
- Reach half a million users
- Launch of Android app
- Launch of the Agenda to help users get to events, festival and concerts
- The site helps tens of thousands of people get back home during the ash cloud in April 2010
- Moved to larger offices and grew the team to 15
- Win green business prize and well as sustainable tourism prize in France
- Reach 1 million users!
- New Iphone app
- Launched BlaBlaCar in the UK
- Launched the Campus product
- Launched Agenda UK
- Finished the year with 40 employees (3 in Madrid, 1 in London)
- 2 million users
- Raised $10m from Accel Partners
- Acquired PostinAuto in Italy and launched in Italy
- Offered online booking service in France
- Launched iphone and Android apps in the UK ... And many more to come!